Monday, November 25, 2013
How time flies yeah.
With the end of the year comes nostalgia and a careful review of the past months.
For me, a review of lessons learnt also comes to mind.
And here are some I would like to share with YOU:
1) Your happiness is solely your responsibility, never place it in the hands of another human being.
2) Money is important; whoever says otherwise hasn't lacked it for one second.
3) Trust but verify; not saying we all have to be detectives but you have to learn to shine your eyes.
4) If you don't like it, don't do it, stop with the people pleasing.
5) You are stronger than you think, don't let fear win.
6) Friends are precious, they are like the icing on the cake of life. Treasure them.
7) Family is very very important. Love them even when they piss you off like my sister alwaysssss does.
8) God is God...need I say more, don't joke with Him.
9) When in a shitty place think of the type of tissue you will use to clean yourself up, you can't afford to stink forever.
10) Life may not go the way we want it to but honestly without darkness will you appreciate light?
11) Don't think about it if it won't improve you in positive ways, have selective amnesia.
12) Stop forcing things and people to come to you; just relax, what is yours will come.
13) Bad people exist, now the choice is yours to either be bitter about it or be better than them.
13b) Laugh at your problems, trust me it sounds better than hearing someone else laugh at them.
That is a long list but hey it had to be thirteen (13) and a half (13b) *straight face* :) .
Life is good...explore, savour and enjoy it.
Quick question: What has 2013 taught you?
Sunday, November 24, 2013
Semira, you haven't written a thing in months, what's wrong?
Is your blog still active, I haven't seen any recent post?
Why have you stopped writing?
....and the list goes on.
As always my response is usually a mumbled; I haven't being in the mood or ehen, I will post something soon (when I know at that moment "soon" means the same thing as never).
The truth is I have been waiting for a sign from Heaven, a thunderous voice that will say "Semira, my beloved Child, pick up your keyboard or keypad and type", then I will suddenly get inspiration from above and start writing like a maniac.
Obviously I don dey wait tire because the only thunderoussounds I have heard so far are the noises emitting from my neighbours' generators.
So after waiting for that very elusive perfect time, I realised there is really nothing like perfect timing.
What really makes an activity "perfect" is doing it even when you don't feel the whole vibe.
The realisation that those imperfect moments are actually made perfect by our actions.
Nike (the brand not Nike in Ibadan) knew what they were doing when they picked the motto "Just Do It".
The truth is right now I am not totally in my element, am writing this post and one little critic in my head is telling me "shey, you have come again, let's see how long you will last this time"?
Btw: sometimes I think my inner critic is just a mean old woman because I can't understand how a voice can be filled with so much negativity.
Anyway, let's ignore her.
Back to the matter....
What really matters for me is RIGHT NOW.
This imperfect moment where I get to talk through my words and do my favourite thing.
What really matters is the happiness am deriving from just doing it.
And yes, of course I am surely going to come down to the moral of my story which simply is:
JUST DO IT.
It may not be the perfect time to start writing that book; just do it.
It may not be the perfect time to hit the gym; just do it.
It may not be the perfect time to start something new and positive in your life; just do it.
At the end of the day what really matters is how well you made good use of an imperfect moment.
Now I always love hearing from you guys, so do feel free to tell me what you think; Is it right to seize the moment or instead wait for that perfect moment?