Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Blame Game, Right or Wrong?

 

"You can't blame me, it's the fault of my parents". 

"It's not my fault, the hardship in this Country is just too much that is why I took up robbery as a 'profession' ". 

"The old woman in my village is at it again, that explains why I can't get a job" (mind you this is coming from someone who sits at home all day and hasn't finished typing the first paragraph of his resume).

Growing up, we played certain games and eventually outgrew them but one game that has transcended the age barrier is the BLAME GAME.

It is always so easy to blame someone else for  ALL our misfortunes even though we know some of these events occurred due to sheer lack of discipline from our end.

Just like Michael...

 


A mother heard the family cat yowl in pain. She knew where to look - she looked for her son, Mike. 

"Stop pulling the cat's tail, Michael!" she chided.

"I'm not pulling his tail," the boy retorted. "I'm just standing on it. He's doing the pulling."

He (Michael), of course, is no different than any of us. 

Often, our first impulse is to blame someone or something else for our problems. It's the cat's fault. Or Jonathan's ("our dear President") fault. Or that old witch in our village fault. Or the school's fault. Or my parent's fault. blah blah blah.

But of course it is never OUR fault, it is always so easy to transfer the burden, isn't it?

Steve Goodier says it aptly in one of his writings: "An important decision I made was to resist playing the Blame Game. The day I realised that I am in charge of how I will approach problems in my life, that things will turn out better or worse because of me and nobody else, that was the day I knew I would be a happier and healthier person. And that was the day I knew I could truly build a life that matters". 

Gbam!!!!

Remember this too, an important step in gaining mastery over your life is to resist the urge to make something or someone else responsible.
 
"There is an expiry date on blaming your parents for steering you in the wrong direction; the moment you are old enough to take the wheel, responsibility lies with you. Certainly background and circumstances have influenced who we are, but who is responsible for the person we become? You or other external factors?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always a pleasure hearing from YOU.

:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...